The Savings Jar

Having a bunch of money in my savings account has always seemed like a pipe dream to me. Since it is so easy to transfer money from savings to checking to spend there's really no reason to separate it. My thoughts were that if it's in there I can spend it. Terrible money saving thoughts, right?

Recently Aaron and I have been talking about getting serious about saving money. We have a goal in mind and we're hoping within the next year or two to reach it. (And no, it's not another trip to Japan, that's still a few years off). Since we're getting serious about money saving we're going about it a bit differently.


Introducing our Savings Jar. Every night Aaron and I empty our pockets and purse of all our change and we dump it in here. When I'm paying for something I'm going out of my way to pay with just bills to guarantee I get change back. It's only been a week and I am surprised at just how much change we've saved up! Deano even gets excited about it- "Can I put coins in the jar, Mommy?" He has this way of pronouncing coins in a way that melts my heart so I always say yes.



This little corner of our bedroom has been almost ignored since we've moved in and in the back of my mind I knew I wanted to do something with it but wasn't sure what. Making the Savings Jar the focal point of this corner makes it a special spot in our house, and since it's one of the first things I see in the morning, it will help me stay motivated to fill it up.


Do you have any unconventional ways of saving money? I'd love to hear of some other ways to save money. ♥

Latest Instagrams

© KnittedFox. Design by Fearne.