Is A Woman Not Entitled To the Body She Has Grown Into?

Yesterday I was asked by a male customer if I was pregnant. This is the second time in my adult life I've been asked this when I am indeed NOT pregnant.

I am 5 feet 4 inches tall. I weighed 129lbs at my last doctors appointment a few weeks ago. I am, by no means a big girl. I'm not fat. I'm not chubby. I'm not flat tummy-ed. I'm not toned. I'm pear shaped. I have "muffin tops". I eat well. I exercise. I'm healthy.

So why do I get asked this? Why is it that these men think that because I don't have the body of a Dallas Cowboy's cheerleader that the only other explanation for my body is that I'm pregnant?

What is wrong with my body? NOTHING.

Why do I get asked this? Because there are stupid people out there who apparently don't have a grasp on reality. And what real (read: average)women look like.

Why do I let this effect me when I try so hard to not let it?



I don't know, but I'm trying really hard to not let it.

Why do I lose confidence about myself over how far over my jeans my tummy is? Why can't I just accept myself and my body as it is? Why do I even have to think these things?

Even more so, why do I think these things even though I know how LOVED I am by my husband. By my family. My friends.

What is it going to take to make society understand that women come in all shapes and sizes and that is ok? Not just ok~ 100% PERFECTLY OK. We are all amazing people. We are all placed on this Earth for a reason. We should all learn to accept ourselves and other for what we are. For the effort we put into ourselves. For the goodness we project to others.

I am cut from a pretty stubborn cloth and I will not let this keep me down. I'm going to do as my Dad say's: "Tape it and go". I'm going to tape a little bandage on my heart and I'm going to go out into the world knowing that I am a wonderful and beautiful woman. I am going to reaffirm in myself all the qualities that make me me and LOVE MYSELF. I'm going to love every single detail about myself, because I work for it. Because this is the body I have grown into and it's wonderful.
Carina Schoen said...

amen, Sarah. sorry about that guy's (totally ignorant and idiotic) remarks. you are beautiful! thanks for sharing your heart, your encouragement and TRUTH. xoxo

Eve said...

Sarah, I think you look fabulous! <3

Love Sparkle Pretty said...

Wow! You hit it all right on the head!
You were created beautifully! :)
-Kayla

Anonymous said...

your clear and positive attitude and bubbly confidence have always made you someone I look up to, and aspire to be like. Some people just don't have a filter, and that's not your fault. as you said, everyone who matters, loves you as you are! <3 Jessica Bird

Anonymous said...

I'm somewhat a regular customer to your store and with all respect to your husband I think you're and very beautiful woman especially cause you found my game, and one more thing I bet all the men that said something were overweight….. just saying

Stretch Armstrong rules

Latest Instagrams

© KnittedFox. Design by Fearne.